Amicus Curiae

We're just like Scalia and Ginsberg, only we're 2Ls and not on the Supreme Court. Oh, and this Antonin doesn't sing.

Sunday, September 18, 2005

Weekend Update with Ruth

Interesting conversation at Freebirds last night between, me, Antonin and an obviously drunk guy.

Obviously Drunk Guy (ODG): Can I ask you a question?
Antonin: As long as it doesn't involve asking me for a favor.
ODG: I'm from Houston. And I just wanted to know... where am I at?
Antonin: (confused pause) Dude... You're in Austin.
ODG: Austin. Then how far am I from 6th street?
[/snip directions to 6th street]
Ruth: Well, how did you get here?
ODG: I don't know. I just woke up, and I was here.

He obviously made it downtown, as I did see him at the Blind Pig, dribbling beer down his chin.

~*~*~

In other drinking news, I am proud to announce that I did my first keg-stand yesterday. And before everyone starts making fun of me for not having reached this milestone as an undergrad, I'd like to point out that as an undergrad I was drinking hard liquor mixed with either soda or juice pretty exclusively. This was a proud moment in my life.

What was even more fun was the fact that a hiring partner from a large, well-known firm in Houston did a keg-stand with us, on the condition that my friend did one as well. We're hoping she can snag a job out of that. I advised her to add to her resume under interests: "Currently hold local women's keg-stand record."

The fact that a stuffy hiring partner did a keg-stand with us makes me proud of my chosen profession. *wipes tear*

I'm Ruth, and that's news to me.

7 Comments:

Anonymous "anonymous" said...

was this the dude with the cowboy hat?

10:01 PM  
Blogger Ruth said...

Wouldn't know. I never talked to him.

10:03 PM  
Blogger pivotal99 said...

Did that hiring partner recently have a portrait of himself unveiled in the atrium? If so, I think that would explain the need/desire to drink as much beer as possible.

4:42 PM  
Blogger Reece said...

What are you talking about? Those paintings are strong works from a clear artistic genius, and are most certainly not horrendously ugly hack jobs.

8:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish I had been present at the unveiling ceremony, when all of the senior faculty and senior partners of Susman Godfrey had to repeatedly lie to each other about how good the paintings look.

--Alfred

8:45 PM  
Blogger Ruth said...

They remind me of technicolor.

9:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They remind me of the Holocaust.

--Alfred

9:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com